[rules-users] JBossRules 4.0.3 : recreating RuleBase instance with addPackage() from serialized rules file (10MB - 2500 rules) takes ages!

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Dec 21 12:20:14 EST 2007

Davy Toch wrote:
> We're currently using JBoss Drools 4.0.3. We have a set of rules that is
> serialized to a file of about 10MB (about 2500 rules). When
> deserializing it, the addPackage() call takes about 2.5 minutes!
>
> Our code looks as follows:
>
>   InputStream is = Test.class.getResourceAsStream("/Test.rules.binary");
>   ObjectInputStream ois = new ObjectInputStream(is);
>   Package pkg = new Package();
>   pkg.readExternal(ois);
>   RuleBase ruleBase = RuleBaseFactory.newRuleBase();
>   ruleBase.addPackage(pkg); // this takes 2.5 minutes !
If you search the mailing list history you'll see me telling people not
ot use the readExternal method; that is an internal method. Use standard
serialisation approach for this.

That said we do have serialisation performance issues, the good thing is
these are getting fixed in trunk so will be addressed for our 4.1.0
release in Q1.