[rules-users] advice is needed: rule based processing ofinter connected facts

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Fri Feb 2 11:13:24 EST 2007

   Hi Vlad,

   This is a case where you can apply business rules with good results.
   In the end, it all depends on how you model your Business Objects,
but lets get some examples:

> 1) for all primary accounts 'zxxy' where y < 5, there should be a matching
> primary account '(z+1)xxy'
>     - [this one is true for the dataset above]

    My understanding is that you are validating your accounting plan, so
you may have an Account object in your model. So, if you want to report
inconsistencies, you can do something like:

rule "missing accounts"
when
    $a : Account( $number : number -> ( number % 10 < 5 ), number < 9000  )
    not Account( number == ( $number + 1000 ) )
then
   // $a does not have a matching primary account
end

   Please, note that the "formulas" I used above may not be the best way
to do it... they are only a possible representation of what you said.

> 2) sumOfDebit(primary + matching_primary + secondary_account) -
> sumOfCredit(primary + matching_primary + secondary_account) must be = 0
>     - [this one is also true]

   Here, it seems you are refering to a set of transactions, so you
might have a set of transaction objects to represent the transaction in
your sample. So, a possible representation would be:

rule "transaction consistency"
when
    Transaction( $id : id )
    $credits: Double( )
              from accumulate( TransactionEntry( id == $id, operation ==
"credit", $amount : amount ),
                                          init( double balance = 0 ),
                                          action(  balance += $amount ),
                                          result( new Double( balance ) ) );
    $debits: Double( )
              from accumulate( TransactionEntry( id == $id, operation ==
"debit", $amount : amount ),
                                          init( double balance = 0 ),
                                          action(  balance -= $amount ),
                                          result( new Double( balance ) ) );
    eval( ! $credits.equals( $debits ) )
then
   // inconsistency for transaction $id
end

   Again, this is not the only way or the best way... it is just an example.

   Also, for the above examples, I used syntax/features of the jbrules
3.1 version.

   Hope it helps.

   []s
   Edson