[rules-users] advice is needed: rule based processing ofinter connected facts

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Fri Feb 2 17:08:34 EST 2007

   Vlad,

   That's what the engine does... it's like SQL. Imagine you have an
"Account" table that has a "number" field. You could write a SQL like:

select * from account a
where (number % 10) < 5
   and number < 9000
   and 0 = (select count(*) from account b where b.number =
(a.number+1000) )

   I'm writing it from my head, so there may be syntax errors... :) but
I think you got the idea.
   You don't say write an algorithm saying:

"for each record in account table..."

   The SQL engine iterates the table for you.

   The same happens with Rule Engines. In the case of JBoss Rules,
instead of tables, you have classes (Account). Instead of columns, you
have class attributes (number).
   If you write a rule like this:

rule "missing accounts"
when
    $a : Account( $number : number -> ( $number % 10 < 5 ), number < 9000  )
    not Account( number == ( $number + 1000 ) )
then
   // $a does not have a matching primary account
end

   You are saying the engine to iterate over all Account instances, and
for each of them bind the variable and apply constraints, and when a
full match is found, the consequence is executed.

   []s
   Edson