[rules-users] New to rules engine - help in defining rules

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Sun Feb 4 08:54:39 EST 2007

    Jeevan,

    You are right: the simplest way would be use "forall".
Unfortunatelly it is only available in trunk.
    To do it in 3.0.x you will need either a helper attribute or a
helper class. For instance, you may add a "branchLength" attribute to
the tree and define 2 rules:

rule "define length"
when
     $t : Tree( branchLength == -1 )
     Branch( mytree == $t, $bl : branch_length )
then
     $t.setBranchLength( $bl.intValue() );
     modify( $t );
end

rule "check length"
when
    $t : Tree( $bl : branchLength != -1 )
    exists Branch( mytree == $t, branch_length != $bl )
then
    // do something because the branch has a different length
end

   There are several variations but you will need 2 rules to emulate this.
   Hopefully the new version will be out soon solving this kind of problem.

   []s
   Edson