[rules-users] Memory requirements for "working memory"

Jeevan Tambuluri jeevan_tambuluri at symantec.com
Sat Feb 10 00:27:16 EST 2007

Hello All,

We are planning to use a rules engine (specifically JBoss rules) for our
application which can potentially have upto 1,000,000 facts to crunch
through, which can take up a lot of memory. I am interested in any
techniques that could be used to reduce memory footprint while holding
large number of facts in working memory. Also, our requirements dictate
that we maintain a stateful working memory.
One thing hat comes to my mind is to demand-fetch field values for java
objects at get*() methods on fact objects are invoked, but if rules are
touching most of the fields of the facts, then memory would be filled up
sooner or later anyway.

I know the question is not directly related to JBoss rules, so I
apolagize if this is not the appropriate forum to pose this question...

Thanks

Jeevan