[rules-users] Short-circuit rules by group?!

jdepaul jjdepaul at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 13 12:43:15 EST 2007

I have several rules defined in groups by Customer, so I have number of rules
for Walmart, some rules for NIKE, more rules for SomeCustomer...  When one
of the rules matches for a given customer I need to send an event
notification.  I need to make sure that I send only ONE event notification
per Customer (regardless of how many rules were matched), thus after finding
the very first match in the Walmart group, I'd like to activate a rule, and
then short-circuit and "Skip" to the next group of rules for NIKE - to see
if any of the matches are found in the next group.

I've implemented this functionality using a Match object, which I assert
into WorkingMemory whenever I find a match for customer, then all my rules
check for absence of Match for given customer...

This works, but I wonder if there is a better way to do it - using Agenda
Groups, maybe - once I find ONE match for Walmart, skip to the next Agenda
Group?!  Could someone comment on this?

THanks,
James