[rules-users] Short-circuit rules by group?!

Ho, Alan alanho at amazon.com
Wed Feb 14 19:03:49 EST 2007

I won't recommend using agenda groups in this case. If you want to make sure that a message is sent once and only once per customer, the predicate for each rule should look like :

When
	customer : Customer()
	"Your custom business logic" && !customer.sentAEvent
Then
	sendEventToCustomer
	customer.sentAEvent = true
	drools.assert(customer.sentAEvent)
End

This will ensure that only one event would get sent. Even if you use Agenda Groups, you can't prevent the LHS (condition statement) to be evaluated for every single rule. In the case where you have multiple rule's LHS are evaluted to be true, the "drools.assert" executed during the first valid rule would cause a revaluation of all rules that has "!customer.sentEvent" in its condition. When the re-evaluations reoccur, the !customer.sendAEvent is evaluated to false, hence a event is never sent twice to the customer.

Agenda groups isn't a good idea because then your agenda groups is tightly tied to the data. You might end up creating more and more agenda groups for each customer.

Does that make sense :P

Regards,
Alan Ho