[rules-users] Convert logic to DRL rules

Steven Williams stevenw at objectconsulting.com.au
Sat Feb 17 20:33:00 EST 2007

In trunk I think you can use connective constraints:

$a : Person(age > 35 | < 25, zipCode == 23546 | == 68590)
then
$a.setStatus("KT");

On 2/18/07, Bill Zhang <billzhang2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a new Drools user trying to convert the following simple logic into
> DRL:
>
> IF (Person.Age > 35 OR Person.Age < 25) AND (Person.ZipCode = 23546 or
> Person.ZipCode = 68590)
> THEN
> Person.Status = "KT";
>
> I found that it is not easy to convert the above logic into ONE DRL rule.
>
> I tried something like this
>
> when
> $a: Person(age>35) or Person (age<25)
> $b: Person(Zipcode==23456) or Person (ZipCode == 68590)
> $c: $a and $b
> Then
> $c.setStatus("KT")
>
> But looks like I can not use
> $c: $a and $b
> becaue in Drools, you can only bind variable to column, not to other
> varaibles.
>
> Please advise how to do this. I would imagine this should be quite
> simple, maybe I missed something quite obvious.
>
> I know that I can write custom Java method to do this, but if I do
> that, I suppose I lose the power of RETEOO pattern matching (pattern
> resuing,
> etc.). So I prefer not to do that.
>
> I also understand I can break the above logic into 4 rules and that
> would be quite easy, but our business user is not used to think in
> that way. Also, we have more complex logic than the above. So what I
> want is to see if there is a way to convert this
> kind of logic in ONE DRL rule.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill

Steven Williams

Supervising Consultant

Object Consulting
Office: 8615 4500 Mob: 0439 898 668 Fax: 8615 4501
stevenw at objectconsulting.com.au
www.objectconsulting.com.au

consulting | development | training | support
our experience makes the difference