[rules-users] Janino vs. Eclipse

Dirk Bergstrom dirk at juniper.net
Tue Feb 20 15:23:42 EST 2007

I do not understand the difference between the Janino and Eclipse options for
rules compilation.  The documentation only says that there are two options, and
the javadocs don't really go any further.  Can someone provide more detail?

My questions include:

*) Why would I prefer one over the other?

*) What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

*) In what situations is it necessary to use Janino?  Which ones require Eclipse?

*) Can I use the Eclipse compiler if I'm building rules outside of Eclipse (eg.
dynamically generated rules in a web application)?

*) I've read that the Eclipse compiler provides some sort of Java 1.5
compatibility/autoboxing/mumble-mumble.  What's that about?

I'll try to put the answers together into something that can be added to the
manual (as soon as the manual is again buildable, see
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBRULES-672).

Thanks.

Dirk Bergstrom               dirk at juniper.net