[rules-users] accumulate / collect behaviour question - another stupid question

Anstis, Michael (M.) manstis1 at ford.com
Thu Feb 22 11:45:00 EST 2007

I think you have misunderstood (or at least one of us has!)

The "transaction consistency" rule consists of four patterns:-
1 - Transaction ( $id : id) pattern.
2 - The "$credit : Double() from..." pattern
3 - The "$debit : Double() from..." pattern
4 - eval( ! $credits.equals( $debits ) )

The rule will only be activated when all patterns match. IMO, I think of
"accumulate" as a nested rule: the "action" will fire when the pattern
following the "accumulate (..." matches. Therefore pattern 2 above is
matched when the "accumulate" returns - i.e. it is always matched. The
same for patterns 1 and 3. Pattern 4 is only matched when the credits
and debits don't equal.

So for 100 Transaction facts and 10 TransactionEntry facts per each of
10 unique id's the rule will be activated once per pattern 4 match.
Pattern 1 always matches; pattern 2 always matches and pattern 3 always
matches. Although pattern matches 100 times, pattern 2 matches 10 times
per id and pattern 3 matches 10 times per id. I think it is different to
consider pattern matches versus rule activations.

I hope this helps!??! - or I'm completely wrong ;-)

Cheers,

Mike