[rules-users] Rule compilation errors under heavy load

Andrew Thompson andyjbs at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 11:49:43 EDT 2007

>It's a good point about using yield(). I did use this originally, but
>for some reason it generated fewer errors than using some arbitrary
>sleep values.

>From discussions or reading I did years back I vaguely recall, yield() isn't required to do anything.
If the VM/OS observes that the same thread that called yield() is still eligible to run, it is quite likely to simply reschedule it as the best candidate.
Depending on the level in the code where this happens in a particular VM or OS implementation, yield() can therefore be a no-op, or a very short break.

sleep() on the other hand makes the thread ineligible to run for a period, forcing a context switch to always happen.

--
Andrew Thompson