[rules-users] Re: Entreprise using Drools with success

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 12:40:46 EDT 2007

Not quite able to say who I work for, but we run a brokerage app for which we licensed the source code.  We've been running/modding the app for the last 3 years, so it's pretty much our app now, in terms of how familiar we are with it, and how much we've changed/tuned it.

That being said, our app had a custom rules engine, with a bloated XML language, etc.  In evaluating Drools, I tested out commission calculation.  We have about 40 scenarios, so I created 1000 trades of each type, put them in a collection, and shuffled it.  Commission calculation in our old rules engine took about 38000ms, and Drools did it in about 250ms.

So, the speed, and the fact that to download it, read the docs, write all the rules using a DSL, and write and run the test took me only about 4 hours (never having seen Drools before) led me to think that it merited a closer look.

Matt