[rules-users] Modifying the fact more than once within a rule

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu Jul 19 10:41:49 EDT 2007

   Natraj,

   You mean modifying twice inside the same rule consequence?
   There should be no problem in modifying a fact twice inside the same
consequence besides wasted effort, so if you are going into an infinite
loop, that is a bug. Would you please open a JIRA with a test case showing
the problem? Having said that, there is no reason to modify a fact twice
inside the same consequence block, so if that is the case, you may also
check your code again.

   Now, if you are talking about modifying a fact in the consequence of 2
different rules, then you need to verify if your modification is not causing
rules to be reevaluated and fired in loops, what is possible to happen and
you need to fix your rules to avoid that.

    []s
    Edson

2007/7/19, Natraj Gudla <natraj.forums at gmail.com>:

> Hello All,
>
> Has anyone faced a situation where a fact gets modified more than once
> within a given DRL. The modification is required so that the other rules
> properly fire based on the consequence of the earlier.
> I am able to get through the modifyRetract() and modifyInsert() once in a
> rule consequence, but the second time i do it, it goes into an infinite loop
> and results in out of memory.
>
> Why is it that i cant modify the object more than once. In such a case,
> how to deal with business scenarios which need this.
>
> Also, is it possible to handle the execution of another DRL within one
> DRL.
>
> Thanks
> Natraj Gudla

  Edson Tirelli