[rules-users] The effect of not using shadow facts

Chris West crayzfishr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 09:40:42 EDT 2007

Edson,

It appears that revision #13637 of drools breaks the ability for me to use
one of my existing classes.  The attached eclipse project illustrates the
problem.  This test works on 4.0.0MR3, but not revision #13637.  The
exception is:

org.drools.spi.ConsequenceException: org.drools.RuntimeDroolsException:
Error creating shadow fact for object: NamedList(Hello List): [1, 2, 3]
    at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java
:549)
    at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(DefaultAgenda.java:509)
    at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.fireAllRules(
AbstractWorkingMemory.java:430)
    at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.fireAllRules(
AbstractWorkingMemory.java:392)
    at com.sample.DroolsTest.main(DroolsTest.java:29)
Caused by: org.drools.RuntimeDroolsException: Error creating shadow fact for
object: NamedList(Hello List): [1, 2, 3]
    at org.drools.reteoo.Rete$ObjectTypeConf.getShadow(Rete.java:458)
    at org.drools.reteoo.Rete.assertObject(Rete.java:157)
    at org.drools.reteoo.ReteooRuleBase.assertObject(ReteooRuleBase.java
:190)
    at org.drools.reteoo.ReteooWorkingMemory.doInsert(
ReteooWorkingMemory.java:70)
    at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.insert(
AbstractWorkingMemory.java:848)
    at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.insert(
AbstractWorkingMemory.java:822)
    at org.drools.base.DefaultKnowledgeHelper.insert(
DefaultKnowledgeHelper.java:60)
    at org.drools.base.DefaultKnowledgeHelper.insert(
DefaultKnowledgeHelper.java:54)
    at com.sample.Rule_Insert_named_list_0.consequence
(Rule_Insert_named_list_0.java:7)
    at com.sample.Rule_Insert_named_list_0ConsequenceInvoker.evaluate
(Rule_Insert_named_list_0ConsequenceInvoker.java:19)
    at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java
:545)
    ... 4 more
    at java.util.ArrayList.ensureCapacity(ArrayList.java:163)
    at java.util.ArrayList.addAll(ArrayList.java:475)
    at com.sample.NamedListShadowProxy.updateProxy(Unknown Source)
    at com.sample.NamedListShadowProxy.setShadowedObject(Unknown Source)
    at org.drools.reteoo.Rete$ObjectTypeConf.getShadow(Rete.java:456)
    ... 14 more

The insert works if you modify my NamedList class to have a no arg
constructor, but the class misbehaves in my rule set (as if shadow is not
working properly).

Please take a look.

Thanks,
-Chris West