[rules-users] Synchronization of Working Memory

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Fri Jun 15 10:42:56 EDT 2007

   Daniel,

   I think what you are trying to achieve requires some careful planning. If
you use the repository, you have a versioned rule base that make sure you
don't lose your working memory.
   Although, without the repo, only thing I can think of is you making sure
your application always loads the wm into memory, perform the rules
replacement (adding/removing rules), so the working memory gets properly
updated, and then serializes your wm back to the database.... did you tried
that?

   []s
   Edson

2007/6/14, Daniel E Chapman <dechapma at us.ibm.com>:

> Hello!
>
> We found a problem with the interaction of a serialized working memory and
> updates to the rules.
>
> Our process involves serializing the working memory to a database.  Later,
> when we load the serialized version of the working memory back from the
> database, if we've updated the rules it will detect that fact and it will
> throw away our carefully preserved working memory.  We suspect this is
> because the working memory maintains a reference to the rules as they were
> when the working memory is originally serialized.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some way to accomplish what we're trying to do,
> either a way to serialize the working memory with no reference to the rules
> or some way to have the working memory update to accomodate any changes to
> the rules that may have occurred since it was serialized.
>
> I know that some other rules engines, such as FairIsaac's Blaze engine,
> have complex schemes where you can have versioned rules in a repository and
> update the rules in that fashion.  I'm not sure that we're trying to do
> anything quite so complex, just a way to occasionally push out a new version
> of our rules without having to lose all of the work we've done to the
> working memory in the past.
>
> (There may come a time where we may intend for the working memories to be
> cleared out, but I think we can do that in a manual fashion when the time
> comes.)
>
> Thanks for your time, hopefully there's an easy answer!

  Edson Tirelli
  Office: +55 11 3529-6000
  Mobile: +55 11 9287-5646