[rules-users] Re: [drools 4] firing a partial set of rules and consequences - performance

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 05:44:17 EDT 2007

[Sorry for reposting, didn't notice the original mail did come through
after all.]

Agenda groups would probably work, but I am worried about the affects on
performance.
Take this pseudo code, using forward chaining:

fireRules(fastAndSlowRulesAgenda);
for (Fact fact : factList) { // factList is very large
   fact.number++;
   fireRules(fastRulesAgenda);
   // do some stuff(but don't change any facts)
   fact.number--;
}
// at this point all the facts are identical as before the loop
aSingleFact.number++;
fireRules(fastAndSlowRulesAgenda);

The main question is if drools will notice that nothing has changed for
the slowRules (except for aSingleFact.number) and won't spend time on
those (except for those that apply to aSingleFact.number).

(For the bigger picture, I have 2 distinct ways of possible improving
the localsearch algorithm and one of them is to use drools not just to
evaluate solutions but also generate moves and I wonder if this is
feasible.)

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet