[rules-users] Rule Organization suggestions

Michael Rhoden mrhoden at franklinamerican.com
Mon Mar 19 16:37:46 EDT 2007

We currently are using an older version of drools, 2.x maybe at the
moment and have a few thousand rules that load through xml files. I have
loaded all my old rules in the latest JBoss Rules version, but we have
to eval() on most everything. It worked fine but this is not the path we
want to continue for new rules repositories. We currently have a
homebrew brms that handles the generation of "RuleIDs". Given the xml
standard has changed dramatically and it appears we would be better
served writing new contextual rules in DRLs, does anyone have a
suggestion as to manage large amounts of rules? The main 2 things I need
are:

1) A way to write rules that will give me unique IDs for each rule. The
main need for this is to "Override" a rule. In our business (as in many)
we have the need for rules to control business logic, IE "amount > 100"
then "stop transaction". What we use today is a rules override system
where certain business users can put in the rule Id and the transaction
number and the rule that fires will be ignored moving forward. Just
looking for a stop gap measure to auto generate rule ids, I guess I'm
hoping I've overlooked a DRL plugin ;) Potentially I was wondering if
the DRL Rule has an attribute to put a ruleID and once a consequence
fired I could look up the ID.

2) We want to use the new jbrms when it's released, but wondered what
the most appropriate format for new rules would be. Meaning if I create
DRL rules will I be able to import them in the new system? Will it
create Rules IDs for these rules then?

Thanks for the help.

-Michael Rhoden