[rules-users] "Or" and Collect

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed May 30 08:54:57 EDT 2007

   Hey Dirk,

   Yes, documentation still needs to be updated.

   About "intersects" :), you can open a JIRA for it, but last word I have
from Mark is that there is no time left for new features in 4.0 besides what
was already committed. So, if users want this, the options are:

* either a community contributor jumps in and implements it (quite simple,
just looking at what we did for "contains")
* or a paying customer requests the feature

    I still have that "collect( from )" feature you asked for to implement,
but we have a huge amount of work to do still for 4.0. We will do our best,
but right now, can't make any promises.

    Regards,
         Edson

2007/5/30, Dirk Bergstrom <dirk at juniper.net>:

> Edson Tirelli was heard to exclaim, On 05/29/07 17:13:
> > $badBugs : List() from
> > collect( Bug( (devOwner memberOf $group || supportOwner memberOf
> $group),
> >          severity == "hair-on-fire" )
> > And use || and && for connecting constraints
> > and "and" and "or" for connecting CE's.
>
> Ahh, ok.  From the examples I'd seen, it was hard to tell, and the docs
> still
> show the two as equivalent for connecting CEs (section 3.15).
>
> This will allow me to replace an ugly predicate hack with a clunky but
> workable
> parenthetical grouping.  Of course, if you'd care to implement yet another
> handy
> Collections-based constraint, I could make it really clean:
>
> We've got "contains", and now "memberOf" (thanks for implementing my
> suggestion), so how about "intersects"?
>
>   CheeseCounter( stinkyCheeses intersects crumblyCheeses )
>
> Then I could write my rule like so:
>
> collect( Bug( (owners intersects $group), ...
>
> This would save me from having to edit ten or twenty rules when management
> inevitably decides that another kind of owner has to be included in the
> rules --
> there are actually five "owners" now (which makes for a very ugly
> parenthetical).
>
> Can I file a jira for "intersects", or should I quit being greedy, and
> enjoy the
> shiny new "memberOf" that I am in fact very happy about? :)
>
> --
> Dirk Bergstrom               dirk at juniper.net

  Edson Tirelli
  Office: +55 11 3529-6000