[rules-users] Dynamically selecting a subflow at runtime

james_d jamesdull at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:45:38 EDT 2007

Hi,

When creating a ruleflow, is there a mechanism that allows me to select
which subflow is executed at runtime?  I don't want to have to hardcode a
specific subflow in the Ruleflow GUI/editor.

Here's a contrived example of what I'm attempting to do:

If the following subflows exist: bake cookies, "bake pizza", "grill steaks",
"fry fish", etc.,  I'd like to have a ruleflow with the following
rulegroups: |Start| -> Get Order -> Make food -> Cleanup -> |Repeat|.  For a
requested order, the corresponding subflow is invoked at the "Make food"
stage then the process repeats.

I saw that calling drools.getWorkingMemory().startProcess(...) might be an
option, however I'm not sure that this will return control to the original
ruleflow when done (causing the "Cleanup" group to not get executed).  If I
try to use the subflow widget in the Ruleflow GUI I have to explicitly name
the subflow I want invoked.

thank you