[rules-users] Stop Processing Rules

Ronald R. DiFrango ron.difrango at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:04:33 EST 2007

All,

I have a situation where I want the rules execution to stop processing
immediately when it encounters a situation like the following:

rule "Invalid RTV Line"
    salience 100

    when
        rtvDetailLine : DetailLine(detailRtvNumber:rtvNumber != null,
lineNumber != null )
        rtvHeader : RtvHeader( rtvNumber != detailRtvNumber )
    then
        logger.debug("Invalid RTV Line");
        throw new RuntimeException("Invalid RTV Line");
end

Basically this is a parent child relationship and under some circumstances
the process that feeds data into the rules it corrupts this relationship.  I
want to stop the rules process immediately and do nothing further.  As you
see above, my first attempt is just throw a runtime exception that is
caught/ logged and report by the calling program.  Does this seem like a
reasonable approach or is there a better approach to do this?

Ron