[rules-users] does WorkingMemory.iterator support remove()?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Oct 5 12:21:24 EDT 2007

Anstis, Michael (M.) wrote:
> Wouldn't the best approach be to get the FactHandles iterator and retact
> them from working memory rather than removing them through the iterator?
>
> Iterator itr = wm.iterateFactHandles();
> While(itr.next()) {
> 	FactHandle h = itr.next();
> 	wm.retract(h);
> }
>
> This would ensure truth maintenance is preserved.

Actually I'm not sure that would be safe.... the objects and the handles
are in the same hashtable. Those internal data structures where built
for performance and lightweightness, not thread safeness and mutability.
If you actually look we have an internal, fast, iterator which we simple
adapt to a slower java.util.Iterator. At the moment none of our
iterators are thread safe, but I do see a valid use case here, we will
have to think on it for the next major release - cleam implementation
patch welcome with unit tests :) I'm less concerned about the iterator
adapter performance, but I cannot compromise on the performance of our
internal iterators.

    public static class HashTableIterator
        implements
        Iterator {

        private AbstractHashTable hashTable;
        private Entry[]           table;
        private int               row;
        private int               length;
        private Entry             entry;

        public HashTableIterator(final AbstractHashTable hashTable) {
            this.hashTable = hashTable;
        }

        /* (non-Javadoc)
         * @see org.drools.util.Iterator#next()
         */
        public Object next() {
            if ( this.entry == null ) {
                // keep skipping rows until we come to the end, or find
one that is populated
                while ( this.entry == null ) {
                    this.row++;
                    if ( this.row == this.length ) {