[rules-users] PermGen OOM and shadow proxies

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Mon Oct 8 12:07:26 EDT 2007

    Hi,

    Shadow facts are needed to ensure the consistency of the working memory
when the facts are changed by the rules. Although, only one class is created
for each of your fact classes, and as so, it should not grow continually.
There are a few bugs that were fixed for 4.0.2 that help on memory
consumption.
    One thing that helps is to use dialect "mvel", instead of "java", since
it will reduce the number of generated classes for rules.

    []s
    Edson

2007/10/8, s erel <erelsagi at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I've posted before regarding this issue.
> We currently evaluating drools 4.01 for our project. We've noticed that
> the perm gen space grows at a rapid rate and that eventually results
> in a OOM. When shadow facts are disabled, the problem seems to go away (or
> at least not as noticeable as before).
>
> Any ideas?
> What is the effect of a shadowed object which itself contains complex
> objects that are also involved in a pattern (through inline eval)?

  Edson Tirelli
  Office: +55 11 3529-6000
  Mobile: +55 11 9287-5646