[rules-users] Data enumeration

vmuthupal muthupalaniappan at eth.net
Sun Apr 13 12:23:23 EDT 2008

Hi all,

We have the following destination hierarchy defined in our application-
continent, country, state, city and locale. We thought of providing the
users a drop down in BRMS to select the appropriate values. Current
selection should based on the previously selected destination value. For
example - If the country is selected as 'UK' then all the states in 'UK'
should be populated and shown as the state. This works perfectly well on
using the conditional enumeration feature.

Currently we have around 6 million records defined and loading all of these
during the application start poses a performance issue. Is there a way to
tweak this behaviour during BRMS start up. Our rquirement is to load only
the continent data first and upon selecting the continent, the application
should make a call to the underlying database to retrieve the country
related information and so on. I firmly believe there should be a way to do
this. If there is currently no provision to do this we are ready to tweak
the GWT code to make this work. If someone can provide a little hindsight on
where to start from, it would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot.