[rules-users] Precompilation of Rule Flows

keithnielsen keithnielsen at discover.com
Mon Dec 1 11:47:21 EST 2008

I have a number of questions as it relates the creation of rule flows:

1) I am assuming that when creating the constraints within a given node
within a rule flow that the selection of "rule"  as the type will create a
rule behind the scenes while selection of "code" will create some java
object representation? If this is a correct understanding is there any
preference from an engine perspective, are there performance or other
considerations that must be taken into account?

2) Is there any way to precompile rule flows like rule files are (as opposed
to at runtime with a call to packageBuilder.addRuleFlow(source))? With the
Drools builder any errors in the .drl files are highlighted. Not so with the
.rf. In order to see what is generated it appears that you have to step
through in debug mode at runtime and buried inside there is a string
representation of everything that was generated as well a list of errors
which refer to errors such as parse errors. Unfortunately this manifests
itself eventually (at least with my flow) as a NullPointerException giving
absolutely no indication as to the root of the problems, which I am assuming
are these parser errors. Seems to me that these errors should be returned
with a call to packageBuilder.hasErrors() which is empty in my case.
3) Code assist doesnt appear to work in action editor or constraint editor
which is I think is a pretty big usablity issue. Anything planned to make
this available?

Thanks