[rules-users] NoClassDefFoundError: BaseObjectClassFieldReader

keithnielsen keithnielsen at discover.com
Tue Dec 2 17:14:53 EST 2008

I have the following rule:

rule "Retrieve CID Presentation Model"
	ruleflow-group "RetrieveCID"

	when
		CIDPresentationModel($cidValue:cidValue,$cidExpirationDate:expirationDate)
	then
		boolean cidResult =
cidService.verifyCIDIsValid($cidValue,$cidExpirationDate);
		CIDResult result = new CIDResult(cidResult);
		insert(result);
		System.out.println("Executing: Retrieve CID Presentation Model");
end

Deep in the bowels of drools there is a call to
ClassFieldAccessorFactory.getClassFieldReader where it attempts to create a
class using the byte array classloader, i.e. final Class<?> newClass =
byteArrayClassLoader.defineClass(className, bytes,PROTECTION_DOMAIN). Its at
this point that a NoClassDefFoundError on the BaseObjectClassFieldReader.
>From what I understand of NoClassDefFoundError it can result when there are
two sources of the same class in the classpath or if there is some reference
from the class resulting in the error to another class that can not be
resolved. It only appears in situations where there is fields involved. It
doesnt seem to matter how simple the object is, the minute I try to use
field assignment it throws an error.

The rules engine is running as an Eclipse plug-in.