[rules-users] Unable to resolve token on function call with mvel dialect

Olivier THIERRY olivier.thierry at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:38:23 EST 2008

Well ... I found something very strange with Drools and mvel dialect
... It looks like Drools doesn't like points in function parameters !

I made this very simple test with a log function and the easier rule
you can have :

function void log (String message) {
	System.out.println(message);
}

rule "test"
	no-loop
	when
		eval(true)
	then
		log("hello world")
end

log("hello world") works ok
log("hello.world") (note the point) fails with this stack trace :

org.drools.spi.ConsequenceException:
org.mvel.UnresolveablePropertyException: unable to resolve token:
log("hello.world")
	at org.drools.base.DefaultConsequenceExceptionHandler.handleException(DefaultConsequenceExceptionHandler.java:13)
	at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java:558)
	at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(DefaultAgenda.java:518)
	at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.fireAllRules(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:475)
	at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.fireAllRules(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:439)
	at t4.test.drools.TestRuleBase.executeRule(TestRuleBase.java:44)
	at t4.test.drools.Test1.testDebug(Test1.java:57)
Caused by: org.mvel.UnresolveablePropertyException: unable to resolve
token: log("hello.world")
	at org.mvel.ast.PropertyASTNode.initializePropertyNode(PropertyASTNode.java:129)
	at org.mvel.ast.PropertyASTNode.getReducedValueAccelerated(PropertyASTNode.java:24)
	at org.mvel.MVELRuntime.execute(MVELRuntime.java:90)
	at org.mvel.CompiledExpression.getValue(CompiledExpression.java:111)
	at org.mvel.MVEL.executeExpression(MVEL.java:235)
	at org.drools.base.mvel.MVELConsequence.evaluate(MVELConsequence.java:48)
	at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java:554)
	... 34 more

It looks like there is a problem with point character, doesn't it ? Is
it a known problem ?

Regards,

Olivier