[rules-users] Re: Inserting Facts within "Action nodes" (RuleFlow)

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri Jan 4 08:04:48 EST 2008

> I would like to introduce if\while statements into the action node
The use of if/while statements in the MVEL dialect is disabled, as it usually leads to less declarative rules.  For simple if-statements, you can still use (x == null ? x : y).  More complex if/while constructs can usually be defined more declaratively using extra conditions in the lhs of a rule.

I must admit that in the context of action nodes, it might be valuable to enable them again in this context.  But our latest code on the svn repository already extended the action node so that you can use the java dialect as well, without limitations.

For now, I would suggest using rules to express you actions in complex cases, as they offer more flexibility.  And expect to see some usability improvements to most of the ruleflow nodes in the future, as the 4.0.x part was still more like a proof-of-concept implementation for some of the node types.

Kris