[rules-users] Turning a non-statefull accumulate into a statefull insertLogical

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:45:12 EST 2008

Hi,

In my statefull working memory on which I fireAllRules over a 1000 timse
per second, I have rule which hurts performance because it gets
backwards chained (which is bad in my use case):

// More seating required during a period in a room than available
// in that room.
rule "roomCapacityTooSmall" // TODO improve performance, as it takes 50%
of the performance
     when
         $period : Period();
         $room : Room($capacity : capacity);
         $totalStudentListSize : Number(intValue > $capacity)
		 from accumulate(
             Exam(period == $period, room == $room,
		 $studentListSize : topicStudentListSize),
             sum($studentListSize)
         );
     then
         insertLogical(new IntConstraintOccurrence(
		"roomCapacityTooSmall", ConstraintType.NEGATIVE_HARD,
             $period, $room));
end

In an effort to turn this into a statefull insertLogical,
I 've tried this:

// More seating required during a period in a room than available
// in that room.
rule "existExamSeating"
     when
         $period : Period();
         $room : Room();
         exists Exam(period == $period, room == $room);
         not ExamSeating(period == $period, room == $room);
     then
         insertLogical(new ExamSeating($period, $room));
end
rule "addExamToExamSeating"
     when
         $exam : Exam($period : period, $room : room);
         $examSeating : ExamSeating(period == $period, room == $room,
		examSet not contains $exam);
     then
         $examSeating.getExamSet().add($exam);
         update($examSeating);
end
rule "removeExamFromExamSeatingPeriod"
     when
         $exam : Exam($period : period, $room : room);
         $examSeating : ExamSeating(examSet contains $exam,
		period != $period);
     then
         $examSeating.getExamSet().remove($exam);
         update($examSeating);
end
rule "removeExamFromExamSeatingRoom"
     when
         $exam : Exam($period : period, $room : room);
         $examSeating : ExamSeating(examSet contains $exam,
		room != room);
     then
         $examSeating.getExamSet().remove($exam);
         update($examSeating);
end
rule "roomCapacityTooSmall"
     when
         $examSeating : ExamSeating(studentSize > roomCapacity, $period
: period, $room : room);
     then
         insertLogical(new IntConstraintOccurrence(
		"roomCapacityTooSmall", ConstraintType.NEGATIVE_HARD,
             $period, $room));
end

However, this turns out to be so slow it's at least 100 times slower
(and probably a lot more as I had no time to let the benchmark finish).

What could explain this?
Is "exists" or "contains" backwards chained?
Am I missing something?

Thanks for any and all help.

--
With kind regards,