[rules-users] Drools and event based decisions, i.e. streaming market quotes

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Wed Jan 23 11:36:53 EST 2008

Henry Canterburry wrote:
> Mark, at this point I have a semi-working drools integration utilizing
> the stateful session. With each event coming in, I insert the event
> into the session and call fireAllRules. I have also added memory
> managment rules to retract events past a certain time threshold or
> number of instances in memory.
>
> I have a few thoughts however:
> Events come in completely asynchronously and rapidly. What happens if
> a new fact enters the engine before all rules for the previous fact
> have finished evaluating/firing? Since I always have a certain number
> of past events kept in WM for history checking purposes, my key event
> processing rules are specifically written to target the "latest"
> instance of an event. Given the rapid speed at which new events enter
> the engine, might I encounter situations where rules later in an
> inference chain for a prior event are evaluating derived data
> partially from the previous event and from the latest event depending
> on what new facts have been established? (sort of a race condition).
> Or...will the inference chain for the previous fact always be allowed
> to finish before a new inference chain for the latest event is begun?
If that new fact enters it will match in the same way any other facts
have. It's resulting activations will be executed based on the conflict
resolution strategy, which is salienec+depth based - i.e. activations
with new facts fire first. So I'm guessing this would break your model
you could try a different conflict resolution strategy, it is pluggable.