[rules-users] Rules 'firing' multiple times?

Anstis, Michael (M.) manstis1 at ford.com
Tue Jul 8 07:04:31 EDT 2008

Hi,

Given the rule you show it doesn't matter how many records you have on a
table UNLESS they are inserted into working memory. So, assuming you
have code outside of that below which inserts each individual record
into working memory, then you can expect one activation to appear on the
agenda for each Emp_Crime_Record object in working memory that have
disposition equal to "GUILTY". Does this make sense?

Rule activations are put on the agenda as objects are inserted into
working memory and not when you call fireAllRules() - which executes the
activations on the agenda. So, every time you insert an object into
working memory the object is checked against the patterns defined in the
left-hand-side ("when"). If they match an activation is put on the
agenda (the right-hand-side - "then") for later execution (when you call
fireAllRules).

Cheers,

Mike