[rules-users] Re: beginner needs help

Alexander Claus styjdt at claus4joy.de
Wed Jun 11 03:05:46 EDT 2008

Hi Senlin,

> Hi all,I just started using Drools. I tried to run some example, but they
all give me errors.
> Exception in thread "main" org.drools.RuntimeDroolsException:
> Unable to load dialect ...
> Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: The Eclipse JDT Core jar is not in
the classpath

probably you have not all needed JAR files on your classpath.
It depends on your needs, which JAR files you have to include, but I think,
for the beginning, when you want to build rules using DRL, you have to
reference:
- drools-core***.jar
- drools-compiler***.jar
both from the drools main directory and further
- antlr-runtime***.jar
- core-3.2.3***.jar
- mvel***.jar
from the lib directory.
I guess you know how to include the JARs in the classpath?

If there will be similar exceptions afterwards, perhaps have a look at the
remaining JARs in these both directorys, if you need one of them.

> Is there any simple instructions for beginners?

The documentation of Drools should help you to continue. See
http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/4.0.7.19894.GA/html/ch03.html#d0e1349
for the section on needed JAR files. At bottom there is an interesting
document referenced: readme_dependencies.txt

Alexander