[rules-users] EPL relicense for eclipse tooling

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Jun 17 19:29:20 EDT 2008

Steven Núñez wrote:
> Stay with BSD-style license.... No need to muddy the waters...

We'll its not quite as simple as that. All other JBoss tooling is EPL
and Drools stuff isn't, it's ASL. However the new synchronisation code
for the repository is considered "generic" tooling and they want to put
this under the EPL, as it's not owned by Drools team. Mixing EPL and
other license in the same svn repository is apparently a bad idea, so
I've had a request from the JBoss Tools people to do a complete
re-license to make things easier. Now we can continue with the Drools
owned parts staying ASL and other bits being EPL, but you'll still have
a product with muddy waters due to mixed licensing - I think it's
unlikely I'll win the argument to ASL any generic parts if they happened
to be used with Drools. But I wanted to put this out to the community
for open debate on the pros and cons. I don't consider the EPL to have
the same political issues to the LGPL, so I'm personally less concerned
about the political issues.