[rules-users] Advice sought on choosing Stateful or Stateless sessions

Ron Kneusel oneelkruns at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:36:22 EDT 2008

Mark Proctor wrote:> > 1.  Do stateless sessions execute faster than stateful?  I'm assuming that even if they don't, they use memory more efficiently?> >   > no. not unless you set sequential mode, but even then it's only faster > if you have a very large number of facts.Mark, thanks for the reply.  What about memory use?  I saw that with a stateful session when I added 500 facts I was easily using 1 GB of RAM before the entire thing crashed.  I'm assuming that not tracking state will dramatically decrease memory use?> standard statless sessions just wrap a stateful session, so you can't > insert or modify from outside the engine but a rule can insert/modify. > If you run in sequential mode you have no inference, insert/modify do > not work.Ok, this clears things up.> Standard stateless has an agenda, sequentail has no agenda the rules are > fired in the order they are defined.It seems that sequential is what I want then since I don't see much dependence between rules in that one is necessarily more important than the others and I can fiddle with salience if one is.The fog is lifting, thanks!Ron