[rules-users] Sequential rules execution

Aaron Dixon atdixon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:14:12 EDT 2008

I found the following thread searching through the Drools mailing list
archives and I was wondering if there were any interesting
developments to mention about sequential rules execution since it was
posted last year. I am achieving sequential execution by preprocessing
rules into activation groups and generating transfer rules to move
between groups, but I imagine my performance is much worse than it
could be.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.drools.user/7128

I'm interested in sequential execution not for performance reasons but
for the simplicity it offers some users in writing their rules. A
rules engine and the RETE algorithm is too advanced for some users and
a sequential engine allows these users to author rules that will run
in a well-understood environment and protects them from infinite rule
execution, for example.

Is there any plan to offer a sequential execution mode in Drools? Does
anyone else have a similar interest?

Aaron