[rules-users] JRules\Drools benchmarking...

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed May 14 22:19:30 EDT 2008

   The old recurring performance evaluation question... :)

   You know that an explanation can only be made after having looked at the
tests used in the benchmark, the actual rules used by both products,
hardware specs, etc... so, not quite sure what answer do you want?

   For instance, there are a lot of people that think exactly the contrary.
Just one example:
http://blog.athico.com/2007/08/drools-vs-jrules-performance-and-future.html

   My preferred answer is still:

"In 99% of the applications, the bottleneck is IO: databases, network, etc.
So, test your use case with both products, make sure it performs well
enough, add to your analysis the products feature set, expressiveness power,
product flexibility, cost, professionals availability, support quality, etc,
and choose the one that best fits you."

   That is because I'm sure, whatever your rules are, in whatever product
you try them, they can be further optimized by having a product expert
looking into them. But what is the point?

   Cheers,
      Edson

2008/5/14 mmquelo massi <mmquelo at gmail.com>:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I did a benchmark on Drools\Jrules.
>
> I found out that drools is about 2,5-3 times slower than Jrules.
>
> How comes?
>
> The results I got are quite similar to the ones in:
>

> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blogs.ilog.com/brms/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/jrules-perf-manners.png&imgrefurl=http://blogs.ilog.com/brms/category/jrules/&h=516&w=722&sz=19&hl=it&start=1&um=1&tbnid=YBqwC0nwaSLxwM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbrms%2Bbencmark%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dit
>
> Any explanations?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bye
>
> Massi