[rules-users] JRules\Drools benchmarking...

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu May 15 10:00:12 EDT 2008

   It seems you are using a good strategy to do your tests. But still, it is
difficult to explain why one is slower than the other without seeing the
actual test code. This is because all the engines have stronger and weaker
spots. Just to mention one example, some engines (not talking specifically
about drools and jrules, but about all engines) implement faster alpha
evaluation, others implement faster beta (join) evaluation, others implement
good optimizations for not() while others may focus on eval(), etc. It is up
to the point that when comparing 2 engines, one performs better in hardware
with a bigger L2 cache while the other performs better in hardware with a
smaller L2 cache.

   So, best I can do without looking at the actual tests is provide you some
tips:

1. First of all, are you using Drools 4.0.7? It is very important that you
use this version over the previous ones.

2. Are you using stateful or stateless sessions? If you are using stateful
sessions are you calling dispose() after using the session? If not, you are
inflating your memory and certainly causing the engine to run slower over
time.

3. Are you sharing the rulebase among multiple requests? The drools rulebase
is designed to be shared and the compilation process is eager and pretty
heavy compared to session creation. So, it pays off to create the rulebase
once and share among requests.

4. Did you disabled shadow facts? Test cases usually use a really small fact
base, so would not be much affected by shadow facts, but still, disabling
them improves performance, but require some best practices to be followed.

5. Do your rules follow best practices (similar to SQL writing best
practices), i.e., write the most constraining patterns first, write the most
constraining restrictions first, etc? Do you write patterns in the same
order among rules to maximize node sharing? I guess you do, but worth
mentioning anyway.

   Anyway, just some tips.

   Regarding the jrules blog, I know it, but I make a bet with you. Download
the manners benchmark to your machine, make sure the rules are the correct
ones (not cheated ones), run the test on both engines and share the results.
I pay you a beer if you get results similar to those published in the blog.
:)
   My point is not that we are faster (what I know we are) or them are
faster. My point is that perf benchmarks for rules engines are a really
tricky matter, with lots of variables involved, that make every test case
configuration unique. Try to reproduce in a different environment and you
will get different performance rates between the engines.

   That is why, our recommendation is to always do what you are doing: try
your own use case. Now, whatever you are trying, I'm sure it is possible to
optimize if we see the test case, but is it worth it? Or the perf as it is
already meets your requirements?

   Cheers,
       Edson

PS: I'm serious about the beer... ;) run and share the results with us...