[rules-users] can we mix java n mvel dialect in LHS

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Nov 4 17:26:23 EST 2008

techy wrote:
> Hello,
> I have some drools beginner questions
> 1.what is default dialect if it is not specified?

The default dialect at the moment is java, mvel will become the default
dialect when the tooling improves.
> 2. can We mix java and mvel syntax in LHS?
> Ex:
> class Cheese(String type,Set<String> ingredients)
> Is this valid LHS?

No the above is not valid. The dialect refers to the code inside of
evals and the consequence, not standard field constraints.
> when  cheese : Cheese(ingredients.getIngredients().size > 3,type ==
> "American")
>
> 3. In my sample program , I have a following condition which never executes
> even if i have  "sugar" ingredient. any help?
> when cheese : Cheese(ingredients contains "sugar")

no the above should work. It'll just call the java contains method on
the collection with the string as the parameter.