[rules-users] Request for assistance in removing eval from a rule

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Tue Sep 16 09:56:01 EDT 2008

   David,

   Eval is really bad for perf, but still, sometimes it is the only way to
do things like call methods. So, in your case, it all depends on what
"containsKeywordString()" method is doing?

   Also, is RulesUtil just a utility class? I mean with no data you reason
over? if so, I strongly advise you to make it a global, instead of matching
it in the rule like a fact.

   Regarding evals, inline evals are just a bit lighter than top level
evals, but there is an important difference:

* inline evals MUST be time consistent, i.e., they must evaluate to the same
value everytime they are called.
* top level evals can deal with changes appropriately

    []s
    Edson