[rules-users] Re: wrapping drools api?

Arjun Dhar dhar_ar at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 07:01:08 EDT 2008

Mark Proctor <mproctor <at> codehaus.org> writes:

> thomaskukofka <at> web.de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > some people write about wrapping the Drools API with an own access API
> > for integration in the application.
> > Sorry for the perhaps stupid question, but what is the reason for
> > this? Does this only make sense if  I'm thinking about changing the
> > rule engine one day?
> yes they do this for rule engine independance.
> > If I'm not intending to change the rule engine from Drools to another,
> > so isn't it the same if the developpers has to use the native Drools
> > API or an self-written access API?
> >
> > Regards
> > Tom

People also do it to shield against backward compatibility issues even with the
same engine.

Taking nothing away from Drools, but over the past many version changes there
have been issues migrating. Wrapping may not stop it but one can always put
checks and balances there so the rest of the application and effective JUnit
testing can be done layer by layer.

Regards,
Arjun