[rules-users] newbie - dynamic rules in java and db design

techluver kamesh.viswanathan at ubs.com
Tue Sep 30 10:06:37 EDT 2008

I'm very new to drools world.. so please bear with me my beginner question..

I've following requirements in

*store the rules in database and load them dynamically.

*.provide the editor to the business user where they can add/edt the rules.

I think for this requirement, either i can go with BRMS or implement it my
own.

IF I use BRMS, Then my understanding is that it will have its set of
tables(no explicit db design is required) and we can manage the rules using
web editor.

1. Will it easy for business user to manager rules on their own without
interruption of developers?
2. Can we run BRMS 4.x in tomcat 5.5 version?

If I dont use BRMS, then i have to come up with own way of managing rules.

In this case, I'm planning to store the rules in GUI friendly format (I've
not decided on the format..)in the database(and provide my own GUI to manage
the rules) . Then Application will convert those rules into drools specific
language and load dynamically.
3. Is this right approach? if not, please give your suggestion.
4. I think rules can be written in  java or drools native language. In my
case, When I read the rules from db which is in GUI friendly format,Will it
be easy to convert that to java rules or drools native language?

Thanks in advance for your help.