[rules-users] Significant memory degradation in high transaction system

sburrows sburrows at networksolutions.com
Fri Apr 3 12:37:04 EDT 2009

Yes, we have a YourKit license.  If I watch certain objects like the
StateFulSession I can see one created for each web session and deleted each
time the session expires.  I've run thousands of transactions through my dev
server in an all night test.  The morning results after all sessions had
expired showed little difference from my starting point and nothing
significant in the rules related objects.

We also have a JMX-based free-memory logger in our production environment.
The release that introduced the rule engine in a minimal capacity shows some
memory degradation as well as much higher volatility and a much greater
'swing' when the garbage collector runs.  This indicates to me that
something is generating a LOT of temporary objects that are all collected at
the next GC run.

It would be nice to get a confirmation that we have implemented this
correctly.  Also I wanted to know of any other connections between a
StatefulSession or the objects added to working memory and the RuleBase.  My
concern is that data might be held longer than it should be (ie: data
created in on session is held onto after that session expires) but
eventually does get collected - at least by the time all sessions expire.

Thanks for your help!
sburrows