[rules-users] JPA persistence for Drools Flow

Marc Dzaebel mdzaebel at web.de
Mon Apr 6 18:30:27 EDT 2009

Hi,

w're evaluating Drools Flow 5 as a process engine for bigger projects at
Volkswagen in a world wide szenario.

There is one crucial question about process persistence. Process instances
are currently saved binary (@LOB) via ObjectOutputStream and
ByteArrayOutputStream through JPA. May be this is efficient for persisting,
however, it disables ordinary database access. E.g. if you use process
variables and need to find a certain process instance with some process
variable values we'd need to unwrap each process for a detailed access. For
>100000 processes in the database this might be too slow as Java needs to
load all instances for access.

We could save process data redundantly via ordinary JPA queries but this
could be dangeous. It would be a rewrite of process persistence. Is there a
plan to extend the persistence strategy to allow ordinary database access
via JPA (no LOBs)?

In our current szenario we would have to wrap orders into a process that is
persisted. Of course we'd need to search for older input during the process
directly in the database.

Thanks in advance

Marc