[rules-users] How to traverse a hierarchy?

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 07:54:14 EDT 2009

Let me propose a somewhat different approach which avoids changing your
objects.

Define a new class Marker that combines a "mark" with the Object to be
classified:
   private String mark;
   private final Object object;
   public Marker( Object o ){ this.object = o; mark = ""; }
   // getter for object
   // getter & setter for mark

For every new Object, create and insert a marker object. This could be done
by the (Java) code inserting the new objet, or by a rule that fires on an
unmarked and unclassified Object. (This depends somewhat upon the ultimate
fate of the Object facts. If they are left in WM, it might be preferable to
used the first technique.)

Rules would be written as
   rule r1.2.4
   when
       $m : Marker( mark == "1.2", $object : object )
       Object( this == $object,... )
   then
       $m.setMark( "1.2.4" );
       update( $m );
end

Leaf rules would have to retract the marker (and dispose of the Object
fact).

A low salience rule should be provided to match left-over Marker objects so
you can catch Objects that aren't matched by any rule.

-W