[rules-users] Negation semantics in Drools

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 13:18:59 EDT 2009

This is not a problem with negation.  I don't think you understand rule conflict resolution.

Here's your rule:

rule "direct"
when
  m : Move(x : first, y : second)
  not Win(first == y)
then
  insert(new Win(m.getFirst()));
end

This rule, regardles of whether it uses negation, will be affected by fact insertion order.  This is because the first condition will match on any Move in working memory.  When all of the potential firings of this rule are put on the agenda, which will initially be one for each Move in working memory, one must be selected to fire.  The order of fact insertion (recency) is one of the ways Drools resolves this by default.

If you don't want that behavior you can change it by using a different conflict resolver instance.  See classes in the package org.drools.conflict:

https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/javadocs/unstable/drools-core/org/drools/conflict/package-summary.html

Or define your own.

You can install a new one by calling either of these methods on your RuleBaseConfiguration:

setProperty("drools.conflictResolver", <resolver class name>)

or

setConflictResolver(<an instance of ConflictResolver>)