[rules-users] Sequential mode help!

Torfox bartosz.jankiewicz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 12:25:22 EST 2009

Mark Proctor wrote:

>> It seems I have misunderstood the documentation-  the sequential mode
>> (https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-expert/html_single/index.html#d0e1809)
>> 3.3.7.1:
>>
>> "Order the Rules by salience and position in the ruleset (by setting a
>> sequence attribute on the rule terminal node)."
>>
> Sequential mode first evaluates all of the LHS. Which results in a
> single conflict set. It then evaluates the conflict set in salience and
> rule order. Modifying values will not result in the LHS being
> re-evaluated.
>
> Mark

Great, thanks for the explanation. Does it mean, that sequential mode
shouldn't be used in a scenario, where particular rules modify facts in the
way that allows other rules to evaluate. Eg. rules 1-10 define "region"
value by matching zip-codes and rules 11-20 calculate premium based on the
"region" and customer's age.

Bartosz