[rules-users] Multiple packages approach

Ross H rossh00 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 02:53:07 EST 2009

Hi Bartosz,

I think the answer is "it depends", and that is in the context of the
application you are trying to develop. I don't quite understand your
statement about clearing the calculation context when the session is
stateless.

Whichever approach, I would wrap it as a pricing service with business
methods, and then under the covers you can use whatever strategy you like
and change that without impacting your application.

I'm also not sure if you are asking from a perspective of performance, so is
it better to have number of smaller KnowledgeBases or one large one from a
memory/response aspect, and that depends on the number of rules, complexity
of conditions, and of course your fact model.

On the other hand if you want to manage the lifecycle of your products
independently (say the pricing rules change frequently), and as you say the
rulesets are independent, then it might be better to have separate
KnowledgeBases from a management perspective. How do you deploy the rules,
embedded, Rule Agent, BRMS ...

Maybe some more info on your solution space would help others to give you a
better response.

Regards Ross