[rules-users] Is this overkill to use a rule engine?

Will_Virtual luuchinh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:08:02 EST 2009

I have a new RCP application that allows users to maintain patient
demographics data via a UI form. It is a fairly deep object graph and data
of this model is pre loaded for every patient. I need to add the flexibility
for users to write rules via a UI tool and customize how and when they want
data in the model should be changed and control things in the UI form, such
as set focus, set required, enable/disable field, show message box ...etc.
They also want the ability to group and when to fire rules based on three
different levels such as form, dialog or field. They could build one or more
rules to the form or/and dialogs/fields in the form. They could set up to
fire rules at the open/close of the form or dialog or even when a value is
changed/lost focus on a field.

I’d like to have your opinions if this will fit well with Drool rule engine.
Is this a bit overkill for what I want to do? Has anyone used Drool for
something similar to this?
Thanks.