[rules-users] MVEL strict mode -- when, why?

Barry Kaplan groups1 at memelet.com
Sun Dec 20 15:33:54 EST 2009

I have never gotten any of my rules to compile using mvel strict mode. If I
leave the default I get spews of error messages that I can't make any sense
of.  For example with:

---
package systeminsights.plugin.core.schedule

rule "foo"
when
  eval(true)
then
  // noop
end
---

I get messages like

[Error: Failed to compile: 3 compilation error(s):
 - (1,21) unqualified type in strict mode for: plugin
 - (1,26) unqualified type in strict mode for: core
 - (1,35) unqualified type in strict mode for: schedule]
[Near : {... Unknown ....}]
             ^
[Line: 1, Column: 0]

If I set strict mode to false all is good.

So, what is actually going on with strict mode? And how does one interpret
messages such as the above?

-barry