[rules-users] verifying 'is not null' in decision table?

Swindells, Thomas TSwindells at nds.com
Tue Dec 22 08:39:06 EST 2009

You can probably do what you need by using XOR-GROUPS (activation groups).

If your spreadsheet is configured to be sequential (or you explicitly set rule priority levels) then only the highest priority matching rule in a particular xor-group will be fired.

So you may be able to specify the rules as follows:
CONDITION

CONDITION

CONDITION

CONDITION

ACTION

XOR-GROUP

Foo

Date1 $param null

Date2 $param null

Date3 $param null

Date4 $param null

setPriority($param)

Date1

Date2

Date3

Date4

setPriority($param)

!=

1

DateXORGroup

!=

2

DateXORGroup

!=

3

DateXORGroup

!=

4

DateXORGroup

Then if Date4 is set the first rule would be fired, otherwise if date3 is set then row 2 would be fired etc.

If there are more permuations that you want to consider you can easily insert them too.

Hope that helps,

Thomas