[rules-users] Drools Planner - Scheduling question work orders

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 12:36:16 EST 2009

I've answered this to the user mailing list, please post any follow ups
there
http://www.jboss.org/drools/lists.html

schumacv  schreef:
> Hi Geoffrey,
>
> I currently working on a project to schedule several work orders in a closed time frame on different objects. I know that this is very similar to the ITC2007 examination example, but I have big problem with the only big difference.

Do you mean work orders for machine queues as in "work queue planning"?
> My problem is, that the work orders I have to schedule don't have the same duration. So it can be, that the duration differs from a couple of minutes to several hours. I saw in your example, that you have worked with a list of periods, in which the exams can take place. So maybe you might have an idea or a hint for me, how I could solve this problem. Thank you in advance.

One way that works well on vehicle routing and work queue planning is to
make smarter moves.
Take a look at the Move implementation in the smart version of the
TravelingTournament example.
Basically, the idea is to make a non-caching
SqueezeWorkOrderBetweenTwoOtherWorkOrdersMoveFactory
that creates SqueezeWorkOrderBetweenTwoOtherWorkOrdersMove.
Where the work order is taken away, the following work orders are pulled
forward,
where the work order is added, the following work orders are pushed into
the future.
> Kind regards,
>
> Volker Schumacher

With kind regards,